The Woodlands Rugby Football Club (WRFC) was formed in 1983 by John Cherrybone, Dave Jenkins and Steve Box, among others. Many of the members were Sam Houston State University players and they settled on the then small town of The Woodlands who welcomed their first sports club with open arms. These founding forefathers spent countless hours growing this club and growing the sport at a time rugby was a largely unheard of sport in Texas.
Over the 30+ years, there have been stellar seasons and there have been character building seasons. What prevails is the club’s dedication to rugby and the intense bond between players. Some players have stood out for their sheer commitment and longevity. They may have moved away or moved on to playing old boys or coaching or reffing but they are an integral part of WRFC history. Among these are Dale McAdams, Keith Gunn, Alan Hienle, Dr. John “Doc” Rogers, Philip Devos, Jason “Gundy” Gunderson, Mike Wilson and Doug Corrigan.
WRFC’s history is highlighted by the following achievements:
- Div III State Championship defeating Corpus Christi
- Texas Division II State Championship
- West Regional Division II Championship Playoffs
- USA “Sweet 16″ National Division II Playoffs
- Sweet 16 National Div II Playoffs (Ranked #12 in USA)
- Sweet 16 National Div II Playoffs (Ranked #9 in USA)
- Texas State Champions
- Western USA Champions
- Texas State Playoffs
- Western USA Playoffs
- Division II National Champions!!!
- Western Championship Playoffs
- Texas Division II Playoffs
- Sweet 16 National Division II Playoffs (Ranked 12th in USA)